Kerry experienced a baby boom last year. The number of births in the county increased by over 4% in 2011. According to figures from the Central Statistics Office 1,991 babies were born in the county last year. That’s an increase of 84 when compared with 2010.
The birth rate in Kerry stands at 13.7 per 1,000 head of population. Last year more girls than boys were born in the county.
- The parents of 68% of the babies were married.
- The average age of Kerry mothers was 32.
- The number of babies born to women under the age of 20 increased by 22% to 43.
- Nationally, over 74,600 babies were born in 2011.
via Radio Kerry News
- Ireland has EU’s highest birth rate – report (rte.ie)
- Kerry Stats from Census 2011 (kerrynews.wordpress.com)