Jarveys relent and attach “dangerous” dung catchers

27 May

A group of Killarney jarveys say it’s too early to say how dung catching devices are working. A number of the jarveys returned to work in the National Park today with the devices attached to their jaunting cars. They had been banned from the park by the National Parks and Wildlife Service after they refused to use the dung catchers.

Earlier this month the 27 Killarney based jarveys lost their High Court battle with the NPWS. The jarveys claim the dung-catchers are a health and safety risk – a claim disputed by the NPWS who say the devices are used in a number of countries already. The NPWS said a ban was necessary as the horses were soiling roads and paths. Today the jarveys returned to the National Park with the dung-catchers attached to their jaunting cars. Chairman of the Killarney Jarvey Association, Pat O’Sullivan, says it’s too early to say how the devices are working.

This move by jarveys is being done on a trial basis without prejudice to a Supreme Court appeal to the High Court ruling. A written judgement from the High Court still has to be completed and it’s understood that after this is received an appeal to the Supreme Court could be lodged by the jarveys.

via Radio Kerry News

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Jarveys relent and attach “dangerous” dung catchers”

  1. Dave Meehan May 27, 2010 at 09:44 #

    RTÉ News last night showed why the Jarveys really didnt want to attach these dung catchers devices – they have to empty them!

    Has there been any reported issues since these devices were attached?

  2. Irish Times May 27, 2010 at 12:46 #

    Bollards Placed to prevent jarvey carriages without requisite dung-catchers from entering the Killarney National Park were removed yesterday, and jarveys were admitted for the first time in nine months to the 15km of tourist trails where they ply their trade.

    The discreet black dung-catching device, barely noticeable and extending from underneath the horse’s tail to the jaunting car, has been the subject of two years of wrangling, picketing and legal proceedings in which the jarveys argued they were unsafe and they had a right to operate without them. The legal actions included a High Court challenge taken by a group of 37 of the Killarney town jarveys questioning the authority of the National Parks and Wildlife Service to force them to fit them.

    Two weeks ago, however, Mr Justice Liam McKechnie comprehensively ruled against the jarveys, saying the service had a duty to manage the park for the public.

    Management locked the jarveys out of the park last September, after two years of seeking to persuade them to at least try the devices which they were providing free.

    About six jarveys have not yet fitted the devices. One, Diarmuid Cronin, said this group were mostly trap-owners and were worried about health and safety.

    A spokesman said his group was donning the devices on a trial basis and had lodged an appeal to the Supreme Court.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: